I Think We’re Planning Our Lives Wrong
Maybe the problem isn’t that you’re bad at planning. Maybe your planner is asking too much of you.
There is something I’ve noticed about the way we’re taught to plan our lives.
Everything has to be organized.
Your goals have to be clear.
Your habits have to be consistent.
Your mornings have to be productive.
Your week has to be planned before it even begins.
And somehow, if you miss a few days, the whole thing starts feeling like another task you’re failing at.
I don’t think planning is supposed to feel like that.
I think a planner should make life feel lighter, not make you feel guilty for being human.
Maybe you don’t need another perfect routine
I used to think getting my life together meant knowing exactly what I was doing.
What I wanted.
Where I was going.
What I needed to accomplish this month.
What habits I needed to build.
What I should stop doing.
Basically, I thought I needed a beautifully organized answer to every part of my life.
But real life doesn’t work like that.
Some weeks you’re motivated.
Some weeks you’re tired.
Sometimes you have ten things to do and somehow spend an hour staring at your phone.
Sometimes your biggest accomplishment is finally replying to that message you’ve been avoiding for three days. π
And honestly?
That still counts.
I wanted a planner that understood that
That’s where the idea for The Life-ish Planner came from.
I didn’t want to create another planner filled with endless productivity trackers and tiny boxes telling you how you’re supposed to live.
I wanted something that felt more like:
Okay. Let’s figure out what’s actually going on.
Something that gives you room to think.
Room to plan.
Room to change your mind.
Room to have fun.
Room to admit that you’ve been putting something off.
And yes… room to get your life together ish. π
Start with what’s actually happening
One of the first things I think we should do before making a huge list of goals is simply check in with ourselves.
How am I actually doing?
What’s going well?
What’s stressing me out?
What have I been avoiding?
What do I want more of?
What do I want less of?
Those questions can tell you much more about your life than a list of 25 ambitious goals ever could.
Because sometimes you don’t need a new goal.
You need rest.
Sometimes you don’t need more motivation.
You need to deal with the thing you’ve been avoiding.
And sometimes you don’t need to change your entire life.
You just need to make a little more room for the things that make you feel like yourself.
Then figure out what actually matters
I also love the idea of separating things into three very simple categories:
Must happen.
Would be nice.
Can wait.
That’s it.
Because not everything deserves the same amount of urgency.
Your brain will happily convince you that everything is important if you let it.
Suddenly answering an email feels just as urgent as studying for an exam, paying a bill, cleaning your room, buying something you don’t actually need and reorganizing your entire existence.
π No.
Some things can wait.
Planning becomes much easier when you give yourself permission to admit that.
And please, leave some room for fun
This might be my favorite part.
Because I don’t want a life where every blank space in my calendar needs to become productive.
I want space for:
☕ little treats
π fun plans
π people I actually want to see
π· things I’m excited about
πΈ random moments I want to remember
π§ listening to music for absolutely no productive reason
There is a difference between having a full life and having a full schedule.
I want the first one.
Your planner should grow with your life
Maybe that’s the real reason some planners don’t work.
They’re built around the assumption that you’ll be the same person every day.
You won’t.
Your priorities will change.
Your energy will change.
Your goals will change.
Your circumstances will change.
And that’s okay.
A good planner shouldn’t make you feel like you’ve failed because your plans changed.
It should give you somewhere to put the new plans.
So I made the planner I actually wanted
That became the idea behind The Life-ish Planner.
It’s designed to help you organize the practical stuff — your months, weeks, tasks, money, important dates and habits — while still leaving space for the softer parts of life.
There’s room to think about what makes you feel like you.
There’s a good-mood menu.
There’s a little wishlist.
There’s space for self-care.
There’s a place for things you’ve been putting off.
There’s a habit tracker, but we’re keeping it reasonable. Six or seven habits are plenty. π
And there’s even a page for romanticizing your ordinary life.
Because sometimes getting your life together isn’t about becoming a completely different person.
Sometimes it’s about becoming a little more intentional about the life you already have.
If you’ve been feeling a little all-over-the-place…
Maybe you don’t need to completely reinvent yourself.
Maybe you just need somewhere to put everything that’s currently floating around in your head.
That’s exactly why I created The Life-ish Planner.
[π GET THE LIFE-ISH PLANNER HERE
Comments
Post a Comment